Tech softball picked second in OVC East Division preseason poll
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- The Ohio Valley Conference announced on Wednesday that Tennessee Tech has been picked for second in the OVC East Division in the annual preseason poll voted on by OVC coaches and sports information directors.
Jacksonville State received top marks in the poll in the East, earning 21 first place votes. Tech received two first place votes and 103 points, placing them second in the poll. Eastern Kentucky received one first place vote in the East Division and is in third place. Rounding out the poll was Morehead State, Belmont and Tennessee State in the East.
The West Division had four schools receive at least one first place vote, but UT Martin was picked first in the division with 14 first place votes. They were followed by Eastern Illinois, Murray State, SIUE, Southeast Missouri and Austin Peay.
The Golden Eagles return six starters and two pitchers to this year's squad, including seniors Melody Christian, Claudia Harke, Brittney Spalding and Chanelle Spalding. Tech kicks off tournament action Feb. 9-10 at Georgia Southern.
2013 OVC Softball Predicted Order of Finish
1. Jacksonville State (21 first-place vote) 130
2. Tennessee Tech (Two fi rst-place votes) 103
3. Eastern Kentucky (One fi rst-place vote) 99
4. Morehead State 60
5. Belmont 54
6. Tennessee State 46
1. UT Martin (14 fi rst-place votes) 119
2. Eastern Illinois (Six fi rst-place votes) 111
3. Murray State (Three fi rst-place votes) 94
4. SIUE 71
5. Southeast Missouri (One fi rst-place vote) 61
6. Austin Peay 30