Weather permitting: Golden Eagles hope to finally play Morehead State
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- Eight teams make the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament and the field will be solidified at the end of the regular season Sunday. Currently sitting on the fence are Tennessee Tech and Morehead State. Both vying for the final spot, the two teams square off in a doubleheader that has been in the making for nearly a month.
Tech has tried to play the Morehead State Eagles twice now and both times the weather has played a leading role. The teams were forced to drop a game from the original three-game series and are now playing a doubleheader Tuesday for a spot in the OVC Tournament. Two wins for either team could amost clinch a spot in the eight-team field.
Morehead State: 57-31, Tech has played Morehead State more than any other team in program history. The pair will square off for the 89th time this season. Last year, Morehead State took the series 2-1 at Morehead by scores of 5-1 and 4-3. Tech's lone win was an 11-2 victory.
- Tech is 21-25 overall this season and 10-10 in the OVC.
- Tech has won both OVC Series it's played in, and split two doubleheaders. The Golden Eagles were swept by Murray State, SIUE and EIU in each doubleheader. Tech's win over TSU was the only doubleheader sweep this season.
- As a team, Tech is hitting .260, posting 181 runs scored, 150 RBI and a .327 on-base percentage through 46 games. The Golden Eagles average 3.52 earned runs per game.
- The Golden Eagle pitching staff combines for a 3.50 conference ERA allowing 51 earned runs in 131.0 innings pitched in the OVC.
- Five Golden Eagles have combined for 19 home runs this season. [Hooper (4), Bennett (3), Sakamoto, (3), B. Spalding (3). Eldridge (2), C. Spalding (2), Gibbs, Taylor].
- Hannah Eldridge and Kendall Hooper have each had six multiple-RBI games.
- Senior Melody Christian opened the season on a tear, connecting for at least one hit in each of her first 11 games of the season and currently sits on a 13 game streak.
- Three players have scored 20+ runs for the Golden Eagles, including Christian, with a team-high 28 runs and is the team's stolen bases leader.
- Christian is third in the OVC with 21 stolen bases on 24 attempts.
- Five Golden Eagles have recorded triples, including newcomer Chelsea Burgess. Christian holds a team high two triples.
- Ketchum was named adidas® Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of the Week (Feb. 11). Ketchum gave up just two hits in 10 innings of work.
- In a trip to the sunshine state, Tech ended the Under Armour Showcase 3-2, with key wins over Maine, LIU Brooklyn and Providence.
- The Golden Eagles finished the Eagle Round Robin hosted by Georgia Southern in February with a 2-2 record. The weekend was highlighted by a 3-1 victory over Akron as sophomore Taylor Ketchum threw a one-hitter Feb. 10.
- First year head coach Bonnie Bynum picked up her first win at Tennessee Tech after the team downed St. John's, 4-3, on Feb. 9. The Golden Eagles defeated St. John's thanks to a walk-off single by senior Chanelle Spalding, marking the first win against the Red Storm in program history and the first victory of the 2013 season.