Golden Eagles handed 5-0 loss at No. 10 Mississippi State
STARKVILLE, Miss. – Tenth-ranked Mississippi State handed Tennessee Tech a 5-0 loss Sunday evening as the Golden Eagles fell to the Bulldogs at the McCarthy Gymnasium.
The Golden Eagles have seen strong play from senior Syrym Abdukhalikov this season, where his singles record entering this weekend was a perfect 5-0. Abdukhalikov won the first set against the No. 81 singles player Malte Stropp 7-6 (6), but Stropp won the match by winning the final two sets.
In the No. 5 spot, Golden Eagle Junior Vasily Eremeev lost his first set 6-2 to Pedro Dumont, but bounced back with an impressive 6-1 win in the second set. The deciding point for Mississippi State came when Dumont defeated Eremeev 1-0 (2) in the final set.
At positions two through four, State was able to post straight set victories.
Tech, 0-8, will face UNC-Asheville March 3rd in Asheville, N.C. at 1 p.m. CT.
Feb 10, 2012 at Mississippi State
Mississippi State 5, Tennessee Tech 0
1. No. 81 Malte Stropp (MSU) def. Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) 6(6)-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 25 Romain Bogaerts (MSU) def. Alejandro Augusto (TTU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jordan Angus (MSU) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Stefan Vinti (MSU) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Pedro Dumont (MSU) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-2, 1-6, 1-0(2)
6. Ethan Wilkinson (MSU) def. Othon Lima (TTU) unf.
Order of match finish...2,3,1,4,5,-