Women's golf team heads to Great Smokies Intercollegiate
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Tech women's golf team heads
to North Carolina this weekend as one of 24 teams competing in the
12th annual Great Smokies Women's Intercollegiate. Tech is one of
just four teams to have claimed the title at the event, winning the
crown in 1999 and 2000.
Only Elon, Chattanooga and host Western Carolina have joined the Golden Eagles as tourney winners in this event. Last year Tech tied for eighth place in the 22-team field.
Following practice rounds on Friday, the teams will play 18 holes on Saturday and Sunday at the par 72, 5,922-yard Waynesville Inn – Golf Resort in Spa in Waynesville, N.C.
The Waynesville Inn - Golf Resort and Spa was established in 1926, nestled on the hills and valleys of Western North Carolina. The 27-hole course sits on a former dairy farm and features rolling fairways ending in bent grass greens. The course was designed by renowned golf course designer, Donald Ross, who also designed Pinehurst #2 which hosted the 2005 U.S. Open. Golf Digest gave the Waynesville Inn – Golf Resort and Spa a four-star rating.
Teams will once again play the Carolina and Blue Ridge courses with the same yardages from a year ago. The Carolina course will play 2,981 yards with Blue Ridge, which features three par-3 and three par 5 holes, measuring out to 2,941 yards to make up the 5,922-yard course.
Western Carolina has won seven of the 11 previous team titles all-time, including two-straight after tying Southern Conference foe, Elon, in the rain-shortened event a season ago, and edging conference counterpart, Wofford, by five strokes two years ago. All told, WCU has won seven of the last eight tournament team titles.
ADDITIONAL GREAT SMOKIES INTERCOLLEGIATE NOTES:
* A total of 58 different teams have participated in the event all-time … the 2010 tournament features 24 teams from nine different states (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia) including two – Middle Tennessee and Jacksonville State – making their first-ever tournament appearance;
* Three of the four all-time tournament team champions will be in competition: Tennessee Tech (1999, 2000); Elon (2001, ‘09) and Western Carolina (2002, ‘03, ‘04, ‘05, ‘06, ‘08, ‘09) – the only champion squad not in attendance is Chattanooga (2007);
* Western Carolina has won at least a share of seven-of-the-11 team titles at the Great Smokies Intercollegiate ... the Catamounts have also had the individual medalist in six of the past nine seasons, ending a three-year drought with co-medalists a season ago;
* Current Tennessee Tech assistant coach, Kylie Crouch, won the inaugural Great Smokies Intercollegiate back in 1999;
* As a squad, Western Carolina’s golfers have a combined SIX career individual championships overall including two by Josefine Sundh last season, two by Blaire Minter in the 2008-09 season and one-apiece, shared by Malin Jansson and Tiffany Schisler … All told, WCU has 21 career top 10 finishes among its roster including 10 by Sundh; seven by Minter; three by Malin Jansson; and one by Tiffany Schisler.