Golden Eagle netters tripped by No. 62 Georgia Tech, 5-2
ATLANTA, Ga. – The Golden Eagles went down fighting,
refusing to leave town without something to show for their efforts.
So, after Georgia Tech had clinched the match with the first five
points, Tennessee Tech scratched out wins in the final two contests
in falling to the No. 62 ranked Yellow Jackets, 5-2, Tuesday
Georgia Tech improved to 6-6 overall while Tech’s record slipped to 2-5.
The Golden Eagles play at Chattanooga on Wednesday, then come home for the first time this season to host three matches over the weekend. Tech entertains Morehead State Friday in its first Ohio Valley Conference match of the year, then hosts UT Martin on Saturday and Appalachian State Sunday.
Georgia Tech claimed the point in doubles play, winning at No. 2 and No. 3, before the Golden Eagles earned a victory at No. 1 by Dean O’Brien and Josh Girling. Tech’s top duo defeated Guillermo Gomez and Ryan Smith, 8-5.
The first match off the court was an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles by Doug Kenny and Kevin King, who downed Mario Gutierrez and Justin Kirstein. At No. 3, the Yellowjackets clinched the point when Austin Roebuck and Miguel Muguruza notched an 8-5 win over Alex Chen and Oscar Pachon.
The host team put wins on the board in the first four singles matches to clinch the day.
Dusan Miljevic got the ‘Jackets started with a straight set win at No. 6, topping Gutierrez, 6-0, 6-0. The Georgia Tech lead went to 3-0 when Kevin King earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Kirstein at No. 4.
The clincher came at the No. 1 singles court, where 12th ranked Gomez stopped O’Brien, 6-3, 6-4, to make it a 4-0 lead.
Georgia Tech made it 5-0 with a straight set win at No. 3 as Muguruza beat Girling, 6-4, 6-2.
The Golden Eagles posted their first point at No. 2, as Alex Chen took a three-set win over Eliot Potvin, 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7). Pachon earned Tech’s second point at No. 5, the last match on the courts, outlasting Ryan Smith for a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 victory.
#62 Georgia Tech 5, Tennessee Tech 2
1. #12 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. O'BRIEN, Dean (TTU) 6-3, 6-4
2. CHEN, Alex (TTU) def. Eliot Potvin (GT) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. GIRLING, Josh (TTU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kevin King (GT) def. KIRSTEIN, Justin (TTU) 6-1, 6-0
5. PACHON, Oscar (TTU) def. Ryan Smith (GT) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
6. Dusan Miljevic (GT) def. GUTIERREZ, Mario (TTU) 6-0, 6-0
1. O'BRIEN, Dean/GIRLING, Josh (TTU) def. #61 Guillermo Gomez/Ryan Smith (GT) 8-5
2. Doug Kenny/Kevin King (GT) def. GUTIERREZ, Mario/KIRSTEIN, Justin (TTU) 8-2
3. Austin Roebuck/Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. CHEN, Alex/PACHON, Oscar (TTU) 8-5
Match Notes: Tennessee Tech 2-5 Georgia Tech 6-6; National ranking #62 Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,1,3,2,5) 64 degrees, sunny, windy ENE at 4 mph #2 singles played tiebreaker instead of full third set since match was clinched T-3:05