Golden Eagles topped by D-II No. 4 Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies
MARIETTA, Ga. -- Georgia Gwinnett College, the NCAA Division II fourth-ranked team, remained unbeaten Monday with a 6-1 victory over Tennessee Tech at the GGC Tennis Facility.
The Grizzlies have defeated teams at all three NCAA levels in addition to some of the top NAIA programs this season on their way to reaching a 9-0 record. The Golden Eagles fell to 1-8 with the defeat.
Georgia Gwinnett took the first two doubles matches and won five of six singles matches in straight sets to improve to 4-0 at home this season.
The Grizzlies earned the doubles point by taking matches at No. 2 and No. 3. In the No. 2 position, Matias Hatem and Connor Clements downed Vasily Eremeev and Gonzalo Munoz, 8-1. In the No. 3 spot, Nathan de Veer and Luke Morland claimed an 8-3 win over Alvaro Cintas and Gagan Jain. The No. 1 doubles position went unfinished.
In singles play, the Grizzlies took 11 of the 13 total sets in asserting themselves. Hatem defeated Alberto Esteban, 6-2, 6-4 at second singles while Clements swept by Cintas, 6-0, 6-0 at fourth singles to give each player two wins on the day. Erik Moberg downed Eremeev, 6-2, 6-1 at third singles while Tony Kostadinov (6-1, 6-2 over Jain) and Hernan Hatem (6-0, 6-3 over Munoz) also won in their matches.
In the top position, Oleksiy Arovin battled his way to a tough, 6-3, 0-6, 10-8 victory over Bruno Tiberti.
The early non-conference schedule now complete, the Golden Eagles open Ohio Valley Conference play this weekend, hosting their first home contests of the season. Murray State visits Saturday for an 11 a.m. contest, while Austin Peay will be on the Tech campus courts Sunday at 12 p.m. Admission to all home tennis matches is free.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee Tech vs Georgia Gwinnett College
March 10, 2014 at Lawrenceville, Ga. (GGC Tennis Facility)
#4 Georgia Gwinnett College 6, Tennessee Tech 1
1. Oleksiy Arovin (TTU) def. Bruno Tiberti (GGC) 6-3, 0-6, 10-8
2. Matias Hatem (GGC) def. Alberto Esteban (TTU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Erik Moberg (GGC) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Connor Clements (GGC) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Tony Kostadinov (GGC) def. Gagan Jain (TTU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Hernan Hatem (GGC) def. Gonzalo Munoz (TTU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Bruno Tiberti/Erik Moberg (GGC) vs. Oleksiy Arovin/Alberto Esteban (TTU) unfinished
2. Matias Hatem/Connor Clements (GGC) def. Vasily Eremeev/Gonzalo Munoz (TTU) 8-1
3. Nathan de Veer/Luke Morland (GGC) def. Alvaro Cintas/Gagan Jain (TTU) 8-3
Match Notes: Tennessee Tech 1-8 Georgia Gwinnett College 9-0