Next match is at home Saturday against Georgia
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- No. 49 Indiana (2-1) didn't lose a match in its home opener, defeating Tennessee Tech 7-0 Saturday morning at the Indiana Indoor Tennis Center. It was the first dual match of the season for the Golden Eagles (0-1).
The Hoosiers got dominant performances from freshman Josh MacTaggart and Jeremy Langer on the way to straight-set victories. MacTaggart didn't drop a single game and Langer dropped only one frame in his win.
After winning all three doubles matches, the Hoosiers wasted no time in singles action, jumping out to early leads in every match. MacTaggart was the first on the board, winning 6-0, 6-0 over Justin Kirstein at No. 3, and Langer was right behind with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Josh Girling at No. 2.
Junior Santiago Gruter won in the third match to finish, taking down Tech's number one player Alex Chen by a 6-3, 6-4 tally. Those three singles wins, combined with the doubles point, clinched the match as Indiana pulled on top, 4-0.
Nick Stafford fell at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-2, to Maxime Armengaud, and Lloyd Harris dropped a 6-4, 6-1 decision at No. 6 to Stephen Vogi.
Tech's best hope came at No. 5 singles, where Oscar Pachon (photo above) took a 5-2 lead in the second set after losing the first, 6-1. However, IU freshman Isade Juneay battled back for a 7-5 win to close out the action.
The next match for coach Kenny Doyle's team comes at home in
Cookeville next Saturday (Feb. 13) when Georgia State visits.
Tech's men's and women's team will then head to Chattanooga on
Sunday to play against Mercer.
Tennessee Tech vs Indiana (Feb 06, 2010)
#49 Indiana 7, Tennessee Tech 0
Feb. 6, 2010 at Bloomington, Ind. (IU Indoor Tennis Center)
1. Santiago Gruter (IND-M) def. Alex Chen (TENNTECH) 6-3, 6-4
2. Jeremy Langer (IND-M) def. Josh Girling (TENNTECH) 6-0, 6-1
3. #119 Josh MacTaggart (IND-M) def. Justin Kirstein (TENNTECH) 6-0, 6-0
4. Maxime Armengaud (IND-M) def. Nicholas Stafford (TENNTECH) 6-2, 6-2
5. Isade Juneau (IND-M) def. Oscar Pachon (TENNTECH) 6-1, 7-5
6. Stephen Vogl (IND-M) def. Lloyd Harris (TENNTECH) 6-4, 6-1
1. Jeremy Langer/Stephen Vogl (IND-M) def. Josh Girling/Nicholas Stafford (TENNTECH) 8-4
2. Lachlan Ferguson/Maxime Armengaud (IND-M) def. Alex Chen/Lloyd Harris (TENNTECH) 8-2
3. Santiago Gruter/Isade Juneau (IND-M) def. Oscar Pachon/Justin Kirstein (TENNTECH) 8-2
Tennessee Tech 0-1
Indiana 2-1; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,1,6,4,5)