Golden Eagles back in Bush Stadium for three-game set against UT Martin
By Mike Lehman, TTU Sports Information Coordinator
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – For the first time since opening day, the Tennessee Tech baseball team enters a weekend series without a weekday game earlier in the week. The extra rest may prove to be a big boost for the Golden Eagles as they look to win their third straight Ohio Valley Conference series of the year.
Tech will host UT Martin in a three game set beginning Friday night, playing its first evening contest at Bush Stadium at the Averitt Express Baseball Complex of the season. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. as the Golden Eagles look to take advantage of their 11-1 mark at home this season.
The Skyhawks enter weekend play after picking up their first OVC win of the year, defeating Murray State at home in the second half of a doubleheader. UT Martin also owns a victory over Eastern Michigan.
TENNESSEE TECH (17-4) vs. UT MARTIN (2-17)
Friday, Mar. 21 /
Saturday, Mar. 22 /
Sunday, Mar. 23
Bush Stadium (1,100) – Cookeville, Tenn.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
Live Stats: ttusports.com
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
• The Golden Eagles swept UT Martin last season, taking all three contests on the road on their way to a first place finish in the league. Tech enters this year's series less than a week removed from pouring 40 runs on Morehead State and looks poised for another big weekend with the bats.
• Another monster week at the plate has catapulted Daniel Miles to the top of the Tech offensive charts. Over the last five games the senior is batting .556 with 15 hits, including two home runs, a triple, and three doubles. He drove in eight runs while scoring 11 more and slugging .963. He now leads the team with a .420 average, .519 on-base percentage, and 32 runs scored.
• Junior Dylan Bosheers has really started to show his power with the bat, entering this weekend's series against the Skyhawks with 14 extra-base hits. He has already hammered four long balls, a triple, and nine doubles to rank second on the team with a .412 average. He leads the team with five stolen bases and ranks second with 28 runs scored.
• Entering his third week as the Friday ace for the Golden Eagles, junior David Hess has not missed a beat this season. He leads the team with 32 innings pitched, 32 strikeouts, and four victories. All five of his starts have been quality starts and he is coming off his best performance of the year, tossing seven innings in a shutout of Morehead State.
• Senior Brandon Thomasson continues to be a monster at the plate for the Golden Eagles, crushing six home runs, two triples, and nine doubles while leading the team with a .744 slugging percentage and league-best 26 RBI. He has also scored 22 runs.
Here's a look at the pitching match-ups between Tech and UT Martin:
TENNESSEE TECH'S PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Friday: David Hess (RHP), JR, 6-1, 205
4-0, 1.12 ERA, 32.0 IP, 32 K, 5 BB
Saturday: Evan Fraliex (RHP), FR, 6-2, 220
1-0, 3.38 ERA, 24.0 IP, 13 K, 7 BB
Sunday: Chris Chism (RHP), JR, 6-1, 205
2-0, 5.28 ERA, 15.1 IP, 9 K, 5 BB
UT MARTIN'S PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Friday: Taylor Cox (LHP), JR, 6-3, 210
0-4, 4.82 ERA, 28.0 IP, 15 K, 8 BB
Saturday: Dalton Potts (LHP), JR, 6-0, 185
0-3, 9.51 ERA, 23.2 IP, 20 K, 14 BB
Sunday: Alex Martin (RHP), JR, 6-0, 205
0-3, 3.04 ERA, 26.2 IP, 17 K, 19 BB