Golden Eagles ready for weekday test at UNC Asheville
By Mike Lehman, TTU Sports Information Coordinator
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – It's back to the road for the Tennessee Tech baseball team as the Golden Eagles will head east for a single midweek contest at UNC Asheville. Set for a 2 p.m. CT first pitch, the Golden Eagles will look to grab their 14th victory of the year.
The Tech squad enters the week after winning its first conference series of the season, claiming two of three from Eastern Kentucky. The Golden Eagles are now 13-3 on the year, owning by far the best record in the league.
UNC Asheville comes in after falling three times to Appalachian State, being outscored 9-2, 7-2, and 7-5 over the weekend. The Bulldogs are 3-10 on the year, owning victories over UNC Greensboro, NC Central and Charlotte.
TENNESSEE TECH (13-3) at UNC ASHEVILLE (3-10)
Tuesday, Mar. 11
Greenwood Field (1,000) – Asheville, N.C.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
Live Stats: uncabulldogs.com
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
• The Golden Eagles took two of three from Eastern Kentucky, collecting the series win in their first Ohio Valley Conference action of the year. Tech had pitching going strong in its two wins, holding the Colonels to just one run in 11-1 and 4-0 iwns.
• Junior Dylan Bosheers leads the Golden Eagles on the year, batting .429 on the strength of a career-long 13-game hitting streak. He leads the Tech squad with 27 hits and eight doubles and has driven in 15 runs this season. The shortstop ranks second on the team with 20 runs scored and clubbed his first home run of the season over the weekend.
• Over the last four games, senior Zach Stephens has been on a tear, averaging .353 at the plate with eight RBI. The slugger hammered a home run in each of the three games against the Colonels, giving him five on the year. He slugged .882 over the week with six base hits and also scored four runs.
• Senior Brandon Thomasson has been a monster at the plate for the Golden Eagles, crushing five home runs, two triples, and six doubles while leading the team with a .780 slugging percentage and 21 RBI. He has also scored 16 runs.
• Even with just six short innings of work on the season, junior Jeb Scoggins will make his first career start against the Bulldogs. The righty owns a 3.00 ERA while allowing just two earned runs on eight hits. He has struck out three batters while walking just one.
Here's a look at the pitching match-ups between Tech and UNC Asheville:
TENNESSEE TECH'S PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Tuesday: Jeb Scoggins (RHP), JR, 5-9, 175
1-0, 3.00 ERA, 6.0 IP, 3 K, 1 BB
UNC ASHEVILLE'S PROBABLE STARTING PITCHER
Tuesday: Tommy Houmard (RHP), R-JR, 6-1, 190
0-0, 9.00 ERA, 2.0 IP, 2 K, 3 BB